You don’t lose everything in bankruptcy. In bankruptcy individuals keep:
- all personal clothing
- tools of the trade up to a value of $11,300
- household furniture up to a value of $13,150
- where the equity in the home does not exceed $10,000, the home is exempt
- farmers, most property used in the occupation of the farm up to $29,100
- life insurance policies, pension plans, and certain RRSPs
Anything that you use to perform your duties at work such as computers, hand tools and things that help create income you keep.